Sunday, August 9, 2015

The Adventure of The Terminally Late Blog Post!!

OK, so I suck.

Real life, and my occasionally poor ability to handle it, means I'm going to have to take yet another week until I finally get to The Adventure of The Devil's Foot. Sorry.

As a means of totally inadequate recompense, allow me to share the following with you.

**MR. HOLMES

This is a wonderful movie. Ian McKellen stars as a 93 year old Holmes, his mind starting to go, struggling to remember why his last case caused him to retire thirty years earlier. Highly recommended.

**WITHOUT A CLUE:

Finally available on Blu-ray and affordable DVD, Without A Clue is the fanciful tale of how Doctor John Watson (Ben Kingsley) began solving crimes as a hobby, but quickly found that was considered socially unacceptable for a doctor. So he hired an actor (Michael Caine) to portray the character he invents--Sherlock Holmes!--to take the credit for solving his cases!!

Tremendously funny, worth it just to see Kingsley & Caine. Go and rent it, or buy it, or whatever you kids do these days.

**SHERLOCK HOLMES: EXAMINING THE EVIDENCE--IN CHARTS!!

Data analysis is the hip thing with all you children these days, so you might enjoy this Guardian article breaking down lots of aspects of the Canon into charts and graphs. Sample:

Obviously, some of the conclusions depend upon your interpretation of things, so feel to bang away in the comments sections there.

There--I've salved my cinscience by providing you alternate entertainment for the week.

We'll be back next week with Devil's Foot, guaranteed--or your money back.

1 comment:

LaraMycroft said...

What an interesting set of infographs. Indeed I question their data - Moriarty appears in 4 cases? I wonder if it requires only a mention. Even so, I should think he's been mentioned more than 3 times after The Final Problem...

Bah, whatever. Thank you for the link. It was worth it just for that Floorplan - I was about to endeavor to determine the layout of their rooms myself, so this saves me some time for other theories!